These delicious little roll-ups are so versatile and adaptable to your tastes. If you prefer another spice blend, go for it. If you want to take this in an Asian direction, stuff with the shredded turkey, cilantro/green onion, bean sprouts, a peanut satay sauce and egg roll wrappers in place of tortillas.
- Drizzle olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add in the onions and sweat for 5 minutes. Add the garlic, cumin and chili powder, if using. Cook for another 1 minute.
- Pour in the drained tomatoes with chilies and cook until any liquid has reduced, 5-10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and mix in the shredded turkey, cheese, cilantro and green onion. Taste mixture for seasoning and adjust if needed.
- Place 2 Tbsp (30 mL) of the mixture into each tortilla and roll up into a firm tube. Secure with a toothpick.
- Pour enough vegetable oil to fill 2" (5 cm) of your skillet or dutch oven. Bring to medium-high heat (350oF/175oC) and shallow-fry each stuffed tortilla 1-2 minutes on each side or until golden brown. They should be light golden brown and crisp. Place on clean towel or paper towel to drain.
- Serve with sour cream, salsa, green onions and cilantro.