TIP: The pickled red onions can be kept for up to two weeks and the cilantro cream sauce can be made few days in advance.
PICKLED RED ONIONS
- Mix together garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder and cumin in large bowl.
- Add thighs and oil and toss well. Cover and marinate for 5 hours in the refrigerator or over night.
- Preheat barbecue to medium-high heat (375°F | 190°C).
- Place turkey, skin side down on an oiled grill. Grill turkey, without turning, for 10 to 14 minutes per side or until thermometer inserted in thickest part of meat, away from the bone, registers 165°F (75°C).
- Continue to cook the turkey for 6 to 8 minutes longer then remove from heat and let the turkey rest for 5 minutes.
- Warm up tortillas on a the hot grill, 20 seconds per side.
- Cut turkey into bite sized pieces and serve in warm tortillas topped with pickled onions and cilantro cream sauce.
CILANTRO CREAM SAUCE
- In small bowl, mix together vinegar, sugar and salt.
- Add onions and let sit at room temperature for 1 hour or covered in the fridge overnight.
- Mix all ingredients in a medium bowl. Cover until ready to use.