TIP: If your turkey starts to char a little on the grill, cover loosely with tin foil. Remove the foil during the last hour of cooking to let the skin crisp up.
- Dry turkey, inside and out, with paper towels.
- Season the turkey with oil, salt and pepper, inside and out. Stuff the cavity with lemon pieces.
- Pre-heat BBQ to 350°F (175°C).
- BBQ, with indirect heat, for 15 minutes per pound, until a meat thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the meat registers 180°F (82°C). Ensure you use a meat thermometer to check for doneness as cooking times can vary significantly with individual BBQ’s.
- Combine finishing sauce ingredients in a bowl.
- During the last hour of cooking, baste the turkey with the finishing sauce, every 15 minutes. Discard any sauce that may remain.
- Remove the turkey from the BBQ and let rest for at least 20 – 30 minutes.
- Discard lemon pieces from the cavity.
- Carve and serve.