TIP: Pecans and blueberries can be used instead of hazelnuts and Saskatoon berries, respectively.
- In a large skillet, melt 1/3 cup (75 mL) butter over low heat.
- Add onion, garlic, sage and marjoram. Stir and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add mushrooms, nuts, berries, parsley, salt, sugar and pepper. Increase heat to medium and cook for 3 minutes.
- Mix in bread cubes. Stir well. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Lay breast, skin side down on a sheet of parchment or waxed paper.
- Slide a sharp knife under loose filet, cutting almost to the edge; fold flap back to lay on the counter, making breast surface larger. Cover with plastic wrap.
- Pound turkey with a flat meat mallet to an even thickness 1/2-3/4 inch (1-2 cm).
- Spoon bread mixture over breast. Roll up jelly roll fashion, starting at the short end. Tie butcher string around roll at 2 inch (5 cm) intervals.
- Rub top of roll with 1 tsp (5 mL) butter and season with salt and pepper.
- Insert an oven-safe meat thermometer in the thickest part of the roll and loosely cover with foil.
- Roast in a preheated 325F (160C) oven. Remove foil after one hour.
- Roast until thermometer registers 165F (74C); time will depend on size of the roll.
- Remove string and cut into 1 inch (2.5 cm) slices.