Preheat oven to 350F
Step one: Make the stuffing
- In a large fry pan on medium high heat, add oil, diced onion, diced fennel, celery, apple and sauté until tender (5-8 minutes).
- Scrape vegetables into large mixing bowl. Add brioche crumbs, raisin bread cubes, melted butter, turkey or chicken stock, salt, pepper and parsley.
- Using a large spoon, combine ingredients until well blended.
- Stuff the cavity of your holiday turkey with ¾ of this delicious dressing, reserving the other ¼ for the upper end of the bird.
*For additional holiday cheer, add ½ cup fresh cranberries before stuffing turkey.
Step two: Cook the turkey
- Lay the onion slices, orange slices and fennel on a large rimmed baking sheet.
- Lay the turkey on top of the vegetables, breast side up and tuck the wing tips under the turkey. Rub canola oil all over the turkey and season evenly with salt.
- Cook on the middle rack in the oven for 1hr 15min.
- Meanwhile, get started on the glaze. Add the canola along with the shallot, ginger and garlic to a pot that’s set over medium heat. Cook for 3min until everything is soft and translucent. Add the remaining ingredients for the glaze and bring to a simmer. Simmer on low for 8min. Pour the glaze through a sieve, pushing the liquid through with the back of a spoon. Discard the solids.
- Insert a thermometer into the thickest part of the thigh (do not hit the bone). When the temperature reads 140Fbegin basting the turkey with the glaze every 10min.
- Once the thermometer reads 165F remove the turkey from the oven. Cover the turkey and let it rest for 20min.
- Prepare the gravy by pouring all the drippings from the turkey pan into a medium pot. Add the remainder of the glaze along with the apple cider, water, allspice, ginger and cinnamon. Bring to a simmer and cook for 4min.
- Whisk the cornstarch with the water until it is fully dissolved. Whisk the cornstarch slurry into the gravy and cook another 2min.
- Carve the turkey and serve with gravy.
Nutritional information: *includes turkey, stuffing and gravy