TIP: Feel free to add any root vegetables you have on hand to the veggie mix – sweet potatoes, rutabaga and turnips make great options. Make sure you cut your vegetables roughly the same size to ensure even cooking.
- Make sure the turkey is thawed and the giblets have been removed.
- Preheat your oven to 350ºF (177ºC).
- Pat the turkey dry with paper towels.
- Rub the turkey with olive oil, salt and pepper, inside and out.
- Sprinkle Italian seasoning generously onto the bird, inside and out.
- Stuff the cavity with fresh herbs.
- Place the turkey into your roasting pan. Add the turkey broth.
- Roast the turkey for 2 hours.
- During this time, combine all vegetables, olive oil and seasoning. At the two hour mark, add to the roasting pan, surrounding the turkey.
- Cook the turkey and the vegetables for an additional 1 ½ - 2 hours or until the juices run clear and an instant thermometer reads 180°F (82°C) in the thickest part of the thigh.
- Remove the turkey from the oven and let it rest for 30 minutes before carving.
: Cooking times are for planning purposes only – always use a digital meat thermometer to determine doneness.