TIP: These burgers can be made in advance and frozen for a quick lunch, dinner or grab-and-go snack. Freeze individual patties between sheets of freezer paper or freeze a batch on a baking tray and move to a Ziploc bag when frozen. Just thaw for 20 minutes before following grilling instructions.
- Heat olive oil in a frying pan.
- Add onions and cook over medium heat until tender and lightly browned, 8-10 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- While onions are cooking, add panko to a small bowl. Add milk and set aside for 5 minutes until fully absorbed.
- Season turkey meat with spices, salt and pepper.
- Add Worcestershire, tamari, garlic, bacon, egg, cooled onions and panko mixture.
- Gently mix together until ingredients are thoroughly combined. Take care not to over mix.
- Divide mixture into even portions (6 for larger burgers, 8 for smaller). Roughly shape into a tennis ball. Flatten into a patty shape.
- Refrigerate for at least 60 minutes up to overnight. This will help patties hold their shape when cooking.
- Pre-heat your grill. Grill over medium heat until cooked through and no longer pink, 6-8 minutes per side. Baste generously with BBQ sauce in the last 5 minutes of cooking. (Timing may vary according to your BBQ and heat settings. Burgers are cooked when an instant read thermometer reads 165ºF).
- If using, top with cheddar cheese and cooked bacon strips in the last few minutes of grilling. Let burgers rest for 10 minutes before serving on a hamburger bun topped with additional BBQ sauce and all your favourite toppings.
- While burgers are chilling, whisk together all BBQ sauce ingredients in a saucepan.
- Bring to a low simmer over medium heat. Cook for 20 – 25 minutes until sauce thickens.
- Remove from heat and let cool. Sauce can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.