If you want a lighter dish, you can substitute turkey broth for white wine.
- To marinate turkey: combine turkey and all marinade ingredients in a non-reactive bowl.
- Mix well.
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours up to overnight.
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F.
- Remove thighs from marinade and shake off excess liquid.
- Discard marinade liquid.
- Add olive oil to an oven-proof skillet and heat.
- Sear turkey until browned on both sides.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- Add onions and garlic to pan and sauté on medium heat until browned, 2 minutes.
- Return turkey to the skillet. Lightly season with salt and pepper.
- Add wine, artichokes, olives, lemon, bay leaf and saffron to pan.
- Simmer on low heat for 15 minutes.
- Transfer skillet to the oven. Bake at 350°F for 1 hour until meat is fork tender and falling off the bone.
- Check on turkey every 30 minutes and add 1/3 cup water if pan juices start to dry out. You want to end up with a thick and flavourful sauce.
- Serve with your favourite rice dish on the side.